Thursday, March 18, 2010

brown irish soda bread


I am trying to do fun things with the kids every day.  I decided to celebrate St. Patrick's day with some of our very close friends and their kids.  I have never made Irish food and I have never celebrated St. Patrick's day but, we had a blast.  Our friends even supplied an Irish mix of music for dinner!  I made corned beef, cabbage and soda bread.  I have never had soda bread so, I am not certain what to compare it to.  I am not really a fan of bread so, not sure I am the best judge but, I thought it was good and so did those at dinner.  The wheat germ and oats added nice texture and the brown sugar gave it just a hint of sweetness.  It is a moist bread.  We served it warm with the Irish Kerrygold butter.  The bean had some toasted this morning with butter and honey and it was still very good.  There were many variations out there so, I combined a few recipes to make a "healthier" version.

brown irish soda bread

  • Cooking spray
  • 1.5 cups  whole-wheat flour
  • 1.5 cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup old fashion oats 
  • 2  tablespoons  dark brown sugar
  • 1  tablespoon  wheat germ
  • 1  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1  teaspoon  baking powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 2  cups  low-fat buttermilk
  • 1  large egg, lightly beaten

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Coat a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
3. Spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours and next 6 ingredients (through salt). Combine buttermilk and egg; add to flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 65 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert bread onto a wire rack; cool completely.When you knock on the bottom of th eloaf it should sound hollow.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS