Wednesday, April 21, 2010

applesauce cake


We leave for Belize this week so, still in my bathing suit, sun dress, tank top frame of mind I opted for what in my head seems like a lighter dessert.  I know it isn't but, as I peeled and chopped the fruit I felt as if it was almost healthy.  I like to tell myself those things so, I can enjoy the treat.  The cake does not have an strong apple flavor and isn't overly sweet.  It is well balanced with the spices and very moist.  I think these would work well as a muffin but, I may add some type of a crumb or oatmeal topping to amp them up a bit. 
Applesauce Cake
Source: Everyday Food

Note: These can be adapted into muffins.  Reduce the cook time to ~18-20 minutes.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more for the cake pan.
3 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (2 gala and 1 granny smith)


1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Confectioners' sugar, optional


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil an 8-inch round cake pan. In a medium saucepan, bring the apples and 1/4 cup water to a simmer over high heat. Cover and return the heat to medium. Cook until the apples are very tender, about 12 minutes. Mash the apples with a whisk. Stir to dry the mixture slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Whisk the brown sugar into the apples, then add the oil. Whisk in the eggs, then the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Transfer the batter to the pan and bake until a golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack, about 20 minutes. Invert and allow the cake to cool on a wire rack. To serve, dust the top with confectioners' sugar if desired.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS