Tuesday, May 25, 2010

cool creamy chocolate pudding cake



I like to bake alone because often with focus my results are better. Life as it is, does not give me that indulgence often. My baking and is often done with the bean sitting on the counter talking to me and tasting ingredients. It is a treat to spend that time with him. His favorite part is licking the spoon. I love to see his face light up as he tastes the sweetness on the spoon. I made a lemon dessert this weekend. It was a flop on many levels. Most importantly when I handed him the spoon to lick his face scrunched up and he looked at me like I was nuts. He said where is the sugar mom. I felt like a failure and I hope that I have not tainted this special time. I felt I needed to redeem myself in his eyes. He is into chocolate pudding these days. I have had this cut out for awhile and I felt like this may get me back into his good graces. I made the cake while he napped. After dinner he got a piece and he polished it off and asked for another. I smiled but, did not give in. There is plenty of cake for tonight. I am back at least in the eyes of my 3 year old. We all enjoyed this dessert. It is cool and refreshing for a hot summer night and very easy to pull together. You can mix it up with the nut choice and pudding flavor. Enjoy!



Cool Creamy Chocolate Pudding Cake
Adapted: Cooking Light


Crust:
 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
Cooking spray


Filling:
1 cup powdered sugar
8oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) carton frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed and divided
3 cups 1% low-fat milk
2 (3.9-ounce) packages chocolate instant pudding mix


Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add butter; pulse 10 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans. Firmly press mixture into bottom of a 13 x 9–inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool completely.
3. To prepare filling, place 1 cup sugar and cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Fold in half of whipped topping. Spread cream cheese mixture on cooled crust. Cover loosely; refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Combine milk and pudding mix in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until pudding is set. Spread the pudding mixture over cream cheese layer. Spread remaining half of thawed whipped topping over pudding layer. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS