Monday, June 28, 2010

brisket with vidalia onion puree


The idea of a supper club has been bouncing around in my head for months.  I just have this crazy passion for food, cooking, entertaining and well ... eating.  I knew I must have some girlfriends out there that share this interest.  I was able to assemble the perfect size group of 7 gals to test out this supper club concept.  We would each made one dish that corresponded to the theme that the hostess picked.  Since I was the instigator I hosted the first supper club and well can you guess what I picked?  Southern comfort!  This club is suppose to push you a bit and get you to try new dishes so, I tackled a brisket which I knew I liked but, always felt a bit overwhelmed by.  The result ... brisket is easy and yummy.  All it takes is time to allow it to cook.  I also learned from my brisket research you want to ask the butcher for the first cut which is the leanest part of the brisket.  I learned a few things and had fun and isn't that what life is all about.  So lucky to have friends that will allow me to indulge in my passions, a good meal and great conversation.

The southern comfort table ... tried to decorate without buying anything so, all items were found in the house.  Feels good to be able to do with less, use what you have and stop my constant urge to buy.


brisket with vidalia onion puree
Source: Bon Appetit Y'all by, Virginia Willis

2 tbsp canola oil
1 (4 lb.) beef brisket (preferably first cut)
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
3 vidalia onions, thickly sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 bay leaves
12 oz dark ale/beer
2 cups beef stock

preheat oven to 375.

Heat oil in dutch oven over medium high heat.  Pat the brisket dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.  Sear the brisket on both sides 8-10 minutes total.  Remove to a plate.

Decrease the heat to medium, add the onions and stir constantly, until they begin to soften and turn color (~7 minutes).  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (~1 minute).  Add the paprika, bay leaves and brisket to the dutch oven.  Add the beer and stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Cover and place in oven.  Bake until tender (~2.5 to 3.5 hours).  Note: 40 minutes per pound is a good estimate.

Remove brisket and transfer to a cutting board.  Discard the bay leaves.  In the dutch oven using an immersion blender puree the onions until smooth.  Taste sauce and add salt and pepper to taste.

Slice brisket against the grain and serve with onion sauce.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS