Sunday, June 20, 2010

peanut butter and chocolate rice crispy bars


The kids and I were invited over to a neighbors house from an impromptu "my husband left me and the kids again for the Lakers" dinner.  Most of the meal was taken care of so, I said I would bring rice crispy treats.  I did not clarify that they would be fancy treats.  The moms enjoyed the little twist on the original but, I think the kids were a bit disappointed with the changes.  I liked them and I will definitely make these again but, I do understand what the little purists were thinking.  They are really tall and almost overly sweet with the two layers of chocolate.  Next time and yes, there will be a next time I will press into a brownie pan and drizzle with half the amount of chocolate.  I think that little tweak will be a good common ground for both groups.

peanut butter and chocolate rice crispy bars
Adapted: Everyday Food

3 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 cups rice crispy cereal
12oz semi sweet chocolate chips

Butter a 8 inch square pan.  In a large pot combine marshmallows, peanut butter and salt.  Cook over medium until melted (~4 minutes).  Constantly stirring.  Add cereal and stir to combine.  Press half of the mix into dish.  Melt the chocolate.  Pour half of the melted chocolate over the cereal.  Repeat with the remaining cereal and then top with rest of chocolate.  Cut into 20 pieces.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS