Thursday, June 17, 2010

three day slaw


I love cabbage and I mean love cabbage.  I go through 4 heads of cabbage a week.  I know slightly obsessive.  This falls in line with my tuna, pumpkin, watermelon, oatmeal obsessions of years past.  I like slaw but, I don't like mayonnaise.  This recipe caught my eye to serve aside my black pepper and molasses chicken sandwiches.  I was worried that the cabbage mixture would get soggy.  It definitely softens but, it still has a crisp bite.  The tangy dressing is a nice contrast to the sweet sandwiches. As the recipe name claims this slaw does keep for 3 days and still tastes good.

Three Day Slaw
Adapted: Screen Doors and Sweet Tea by Martha Foose

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp celery seeds
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 head of green cabbage shredded (or 1 bag slaw)
1 small white onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup shredded carrot

In a small saucepan combine vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and salt.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Remove from the heat and add the oil.  Cool until just warm to the touch, approximately 30 minutes.

Combine cabbage, onion, bell pepper and carrot in a large bowl.  Pour the warm dressing over the cabbage mixture.  Cover and marinate for 8 hours.  Will keep for 3 days.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS