Wednesday, July 28, 2010

peanut butter sandwich cookies




The cookie jar is full again and I kinda feel bad.  Bad because I filled it with peanut butter cookies which are my favorite and I know will tempt me until they are gone.  I feel even worse that Campbell who has now had sugar and who has been instructed by her doctor to eat fattening foods to get some meat on those bones can't have these.  No peanut butter ... no peanut butter for awhile.  I can't imagine a world with no peanut butter.  Poor girl!  These cookies are similar in concept to the girl scout peanut butter sandwich cookie.  Unlike the girl scout cookie these cookies are moist with just the right amount of crispness to hold in the very creamy delicious filling.  The filling is almost too creamy for these cookies.  I have another peanut butter filling which I think I will sub in next time for comparison.  These are easy, you can have dough on hand in freezer and I think they could really be dressed up if you dipped half in chocolate.  I followed the instructions and made them rectangular but, I think next time I will try round.
peanut butter sandwich cookies
Source: Everyday Food
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar

Directions

  1. In a bowl, whisk together baking soda, salt, and 2 cups flour; set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter until light and fluffy; beat in egg. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, beating just until combined (do not overmix).
  2. Form dough into two 8-inch-long rectangular or circular logs. Wrap each log in waxed or parchment paper; freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. With a sharp knife, slice dough 1/4 inch thick; place on two baking sheets, 1 inch apart. Bake until cookies are puffed, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.
  4. Make filling: In a saucepan, whisk milk and 2 tablespoons flour over medium until thickened, 2 minutes; let cool. In a bowl, using mixer, beat together 1/2 cup peanut butter and granulated sugar; beat in cooled milk mixture. Spread smooth sides of half the cookies with 1 tablespoon filling; sandwich with remaining cookies. (To store, keep in an airtight container, up to 5 days.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS