Thursday, July 1, 2010

summer vegetable succotash with basil


My supperdish my succotash wish ... I never really knew what succotash was but, I sure LOVED that song.  I just learned that succotash is a dish that is primarily made from corn and shelled beans.  The dish can be adapted easily and made with seasonal vegetables.  I have played around adding different veggies such as baby Yukon gold potatoes, red bell pepper and okra. They were all good but, the combination below is my favorite.   Black-eyed peas, edamame, or lima beans can be substituted or added.  I love the lightness of this side and the use of so many fresh summer vegetables.  This is so easy to make, pairs well with many summer meals, and the left overs taste great.

summer vegetable succotash with basil
Adapted from Bon Appetit Y'all

2 cups butter beans (1.5lbs shelled)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 vidalia onion, chopped
4 ears sweets corn (cut kernels off cob)
1 yellow summer squash, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped basil

In a large skillet heat the oil and butter over medium high heat until the foam subsides.  Add the onion, corn, squash, and zucchini.  Season with the salt and pepper.  Cook until crisp tender about 5-8 minutes.  Stir in the butter beans and cook until heated through.  Take off the heat and add the tomatoes and basil.  Taste and adjust for seasoning.  Serve hot, warm or cold.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS