Wednesday, August 25, 2010

peach ice cream


Life is crazy today.  Lindsay Lohan is out of rehab after only 23 days which does not seem like enough time to fix that train wreck and I am making another desert with fruit!  I had peaches left over from my trip to the farmers market for the tart so, I decided to break out the ice cream maker I got over a year ago and had yet to use.  I was scared by the ice cream maker because it just seemed hard.  Boy was I wrong.  I told Brad I was making ice cream and he smiled and said what flavor.  When I said peach his response was "why"!  I wasn't sure why other then the fact I hate wasting food and I could not possibly eat all of the peaches myself before they went bad.  I peeled, chopped, cooked, pureed, and cooled all while doubting myself.  I pureed probably more then others would but, I wanted a smooth scoop that did not contain chunks.  Brad and I continued to peer into the ice cream maker in amazement as the ice cream formed.  We scooped out bowls for the whole family and we all LOVED it.  It was creamy, rich, sweet from the fresh peaches yet the sweetness was tamed by the tang of the sour cream.  This was not vanilla ice cream with peach chunks this was peachy delight.  I have a feeling the ice cream maker will not sit on the shelf another year before it makes an appearance in the kitchen.

peach ice cream
Source: the perfect scoop

1 1/3 pounds (600 g) ripe peaches (about 4 large peaches)

1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
A few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice


Peel the peaches, slice them in half, and remove the pits. Cut the peaches into chunks and cook them with the water in a medium, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, covered, stirring once or twice, until soft and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat, stir in the sugar, then cool to room temperature.
Puree the cooked peaches and any liquid in a blender or food processor with the sour cream, heavy cream, vanilla, and lemon juice until almost smooth but slightly chunky.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS