Saturday, October 9, 2010

quick chicken gumbo


Fall is my favorite season, my favorite flavors in both cooking and baking and my favorite type of food.  I am so excited for fall.  It keeps starting to show its face around here and then we get shocked with a warm Indian summer day.  Last week we had two chilly days so, I was ready to smell cinnamon in the house, make pots of soup, braise meat and roast vegetables.  Work is getting very busy as is the kids schedules so, I am going to need to rely on the slow cooker, the dutch oven and quick staples like rotisserie chicken and pre cut veggies to get dinner on the table these days.  I love gumbo the spicy smoky sausage, the creamy broth, the shredded chicken and okra.  I eat it kicked up with hot sauce and warm corn bread.  I realized that I am the only one in this house that feels that way.  This is quick and yummy.  I froze this in single servings for nights Brad is gone or working late so, I don't have to stomach another dino nugget.  Looking forward to more one pot meals this fall.

quick chicken gumbo
adapted: everyday food
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 cups of water or chicken broth
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut okra
8 ounces smoked (precooked) andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1 inch thick
1 rotisserie chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)

1.In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium. Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until pale golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in bell peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes.


2.Add 4 cups water or broth; stir in okra and sausage. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded chicken, and warm through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

Quay Po Cooks said...

Nice chicken gumbo recipe. Looks yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS