Monday, October 11, 2010

salsa two ways


We were invited over to our neighbors for dinner and asked to bring salsa.  Sounds easy.  Part of me just wanted to pick up a few premade types from the store but, it was our first invite and did not want to show up with store bought.  I make salsa but, there are so many types of salsas and everyone has a favorite.  There is smooth, chunky, smoky, red, green, mild, spicy, fruity and well the options just go on forever.  I like spicy fresh pico de gallo.  I made a standard pico de gallo and then a more traditional restaurant style.  I kept the heat toned down and actually really like the restaurant smooth style a lot more then I thought I would.  Salty chips and spicy fresh salsa is just heaven in my mouth.  It is a classic and although there are so many variations I feel as if the combo is always a hit.  These salsas have become a critical component in one of my new FAVORITE breakfast dishes which I will post later this week.

salsa two ways
Source: sweetflours

Pico de Gallo
5-6 roma tomatoes
1 small white onion
2 jalapeno peppers
~ 1/4 cup cilantro
lime juice
salt to taste

Seed and chop jalapenos and tomatoes.  Chop onion into a very small dice. Chop a handful of cilantro. Put all of these ingredients together in a bowl and stir.  Squeeze the juice of half of one lime into the bowl. Add salt to taste and give a good final stir.  Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

Tomato Salsa
3 slicing tomatoes; scored
1-2jalapeno; roughly chopped
1-2  garlic clove; roughly chopped
1-2 tsp of salt
1/2 white onion; chopped
1/4 cup cilantro; chopped

Drop the scored tomatoes into boiling water.  Boil tomatoes until soft to the touch.  Transfer tomatoes directly into a food processor with jalapeno, garlic and salt.  Pulse processor until finely chopped but, not pureed.  When the mixture cools and onion and cilantro and chill.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS