Sunday, October 3, 2010

spiderman sugar cookie with royal icing


 Happy birthday Carter ... my little spiderman.  Carter's love of spiders at 2 evolved into a love of spiderman at 3.  I have learned so much more about spiderman, the green goblin, and doctor octopus then I could have ever imagined.  Carter's 4th birthday has revolved around spiderman.  I wanted to give something other then the standard goodie bag at his spiderman themed bounce house party so, I thought I would try my hand at spiderman sugar cookies.  I have never made a sugar cookie or used royal icing.  I practiced drawing spiderman all week.  I was pretty good webs and all.  For the cookie my original intention was to add webs to the head but, once I got going I realized the web detail was way over my head.  I was pretty happy with how they turned out for my first go but, as Brad said they looked like the were made with love.  I guess that is all I can ask for because it is true all I have is love for my little guy.

spiderman sugar cookie with royal icing

sugar cookie

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 ½ tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 ½ cup flour,  sifted 

Cream butter. Add powdered sugar. Blend in egg, almond extract, vanilla, salt until combined.  Slowly add flour. Chill dough until firm (~2 hours). Roll to ¼” thickness on well-floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 min. Cookies should not brown. Frost and decorate when cool. 

royal icing
source: wilton

4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 tbsp. meringue powder
6 tbsp. water

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on low speed until the sheen has disappeared and the icing has a matte appearance (about 7-10 minutes).  Transfer the contents of the mixing bowl to an containers.  Add water a very small amount at a time and stir by hand until fully incorporated.  Continue until the icing has reached a consistency appropriate for piping. After piping you can add water to thin out for flooding.  If you go too far and the icing is too thin, add more sifted powdered sugar to thicken it again.  

Tips, recipes and help from: annie-eats

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spiderman cookies your the best mom ever

Taylor Crary

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS