Wednesday, November 17, 2010

gooey butter cookies


Brad came with me to the grocery store the other day which is rare these days.  When we first got married we shopped only on the days we were going to cook which wasn't often.  We only bought food for that meal.  As I put cream of mushroom soup and boxed cake mix in the cart he made the comment "I remember when almost every meal you made had cream of something soup, stove top stuffing and boxed cake mix".  I thought back and it was true.  I had no idea how to cook so I relied on processed kitchen staples to make meals like tuna noodle casserole, chicken and stuffing, spaghetti pie and cupcakes with canned premade frosting.  I felt so proud that I have come so far in the kitchen and excited for how much farther I have to go on this food journey.  The boxed cake mix required to make the gooey butter cookies also made me smile because they are comfort food to me.  I realized the comfort food is about a feeling.  The feeling that you get when you taste the food and the place it brings you to.  I will forever remember our sliver of a kitchen in our 797 square foot San Francisco condo and the begining of my marriage.  No matter how bad the food tasted Brad always ate it and that is just one of the reasons I love him.  He is my comfort so, there will always be a place in my heart for boxed cake mix and cream of mushroom soup. 

gooey butter cookies
source: paula deen

1 (8 ounce) block of cream cheese, room temperature

1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar


Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Stir in the egg and vanilla. Add cake mix, and stir until well blended. Roll into 1inch balls and roll the balls in the confectioners' sugar. Place 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
3.Bake for 10 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS