Thursday, December 9, 2010

buckeyes


Peanut butter and chocolate.  Is there a couple that goes better together then those two ingredients?  When it comes to Christmas  peanut butter is a must on my tray of goodies.  Brad's mom is known for her holiday peanut butter balls.  They are fantastic.  I think about them all year and squeal with delight when I see them in a small glass dish on her kitchen counter.  Because she does the peanut butter ball I wanted to do something slightly different.  The buckeyes are not completely covered in chocolate which leaves a little glimpse of peanut butter goodness making them look like well ... a nut from the buckeye tree (Ohio state tree).  They also lack the crunch that you get in a peanut butter ball from the crushed graham cracker or rice krispy.  I kinda missed the crunch, I guess I could add the crunch but, if I add the crunch then I should just dip them all the way and make a peanut butter ball.  I had a bit of trouble with the dipping but, got the hang of it after about 36 odd looking buckeyes were produced.  The dozen that I did successfully dip looked great on the cookie tray and having some bite size treats is great because you can't feel guilty for just a bite.  My problem is I can't just stop at one bite!
buckeyes
adapted: allrecipes
ingredients (~3 dozen)
  • 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons shortening (optional)
  1. Line a baking sheet with silpat; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar with mixer to form dough. Dough will be stiff but, crumbly.  Shape into balls using 1 inch cookie scoop. Place on prepared pan, and refrigerate/freeze until dough has firmed up.
  3. Melt shortening (if using) and chocolate together in a metal bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth, and remove from heat.
  4. Remove balls from refrigerator. Insert a wooden toothpick into a ball, and dip into melted chocolate. Return to silpat, chocolate side down, and remove toothpick. Repeat with remaining balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set. 
* I had a hard time with getting a uniform dip.  I had best success when I tilted the bowl of chocolate and went in on a slight angle and rolled.  The toothpick hole was then off centered and not too visible in the finished buckeyes.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

There really is nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter! And even though I've never made buckeyes, I always think of them around Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS