Wednesday, February 9, 2011

carrot cake oatmeal


Carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts and as you know oatmeal is a breakfast ritual so, when my basket arrived with a bunch of beautiful nantes carrots I knew I had to combine the my two loves and the carrot cake lovechild was born.  The combination of carrot and coconut mixed with pie spices is the perfect way to start off a cold morning.  If you like carrot cake you will love no seriously go nuts for this bowl of oats.  This is a good base which I think can be jazzed or changed up with banana, mangos, walnuts or even a little oatmeal "icing" made out of greek yogurt and maple syrup.  I hope I get more nantes this week because I am going to have fun playing around with this combination.
 
carrot cake oatmeal

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 egg white
2 small or 1 large carrot; grated
1 teaspoons of brown sugar
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
good sprinkle of ground flax seed meal
1 tablespoon shredded coconut

Combine the oats, water and coconut milk.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator over night.  If you don't have time to do over night then do it in the morning and let it sit.  This allows the oats to soak up the liquid and produce the most voluminous and creamy bowl of oatmeal.  Remove wrap and add egg white, grated carrot, brown sugar, pumpkin pie and flax meal and give a good stir.  Either cook bowl or stove top or put in microwave for ~4 minutes stirring half way through.  Top with shredded coconut.  Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I'll take any excuse to eat carrot cake for breakfast! Especially if it's totally guilt free, as this is. Looks delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS