Tuesday, February 22, 2011

chocolate caramel kiss surprise cookies


So you are going on vacation in 10 days and you have to wear a bathing suit.  I should be cutting carbs and outside running.  Instead I am standing in my kitchen stuffing double chocolate chip cookie dough with caramel hershey kisses.   Curse this raging sweet tooth of mine.  I am always drawn to the holiday version of candies.  I bought the Valentine M&Ms and a bag of the caramel hershey kisses.  I had no idea what I was going to do with them but, I could not resist.  Holiday candies and sprinkles seem to jump into my cart.  Valentines day has passed and I still had a bag of kisses.   I was thinking of a thumbprint style cookie but, I love gooey caramel so I decided to hide the kiss inside the cookie so it melts into the dough.  I had a bit of trouble getting the kiss in the middle of the dough ball but, after various attempts I got the hang of it toward the end.  Flouring my hands helped get the dough balls rolled with the kiss in the center. These are soft chocolate cookies with a gooey caramel center. 

chocolate caramel kiss surprise cookies
source: sweetflours

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (room temperature)
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 30 caramel hershey kisses; unwrapped
PREHEAT oven to 325° F.

COMBINE flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chips. (Refrigerate dough for ~1hour).  Scoop dough and press kiss into dough. Mold dough around the kiss so, the kiss is covered.  Roll the ball to completely cover kiss and give dough a round ball shape.  May need to flour your hands a bit as dough gets a little sticky.  Place onto ungreased baking sheets lined with silpat.

BAKE for 11 to 13 minutes or until cookies are puffed. Cool on baking sheets for 2-4 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I have recently disallowed myself from going to target because I can't resist their seasonal candy aisle. So I totally understand. I love the sound the sound of these cookies!

Cupcakes and Combat Boots said...

My sweet tooth always rages the worst when I'm trying to be "good" too. It's a terrible predicament! And these cookies look SO good! I just saved them to my favorites. Thanks!

That Girl said...

I chopped up my pumpkin kisses and threw them in brownies, so I get where you're coming from

Leslie said...

ehh .screw the bikini...give me the cookies!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS