Tuesday, February 15, 2011

queso de cabra al horno

Spanish supper club.  Think sangria, empanadas, paella, potatoes, mushrooms, almond cake and more and more sangria.  My neighbor Erin hosted this month and as expected she made the night so special and her decor was over the top.  She has this amazing ability to truly transform a room into the theme of the evening.  She sent us some links to spanish tapas menus and I originally thought I wanted to do a dish with manchengo and serrano ham but, then when I saw this bubbling, gooey goat cheese mound surrounded by tomatoes I was hooked.  This appetizer is so easy to throw together and really is delicious.  I am a sucker for melted cheese and crusty bread.  Tapas are my type of meal because I love lots of bites of little dishes.  Everything was really good and some how the meal came together perfectly again.   The sangria got us a bit rowdy and of course the conversation got crazy and loud. We had some really exciting things to celebrate and it was so fun to be with this group of friends.  They all really embrace life.   I am fairly certain we may have traumatized Erin's kids and husband with our silly antics and banter.  I walked home well after 2:00 in the morning with Erin laughing and chasing me down the street ... fairly certain that is a sign of way too much fun had.

queso de cabra al horno (baked goat cheese)

1 tablespoon chopped garlic (~2-3 cloves)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 lbs crushed ripe tomatoes (canned)
1 tablespoon dried italian seasoning
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 oz goat cheese, room temperature
fresh parsley for garnish
crusty baguette (warmed and slice) 

In a medium sauce pan, over low heat, saute the garlic in olive oil. Add the sherry vinegar and the crushed tomatoes.
Bring the tomato mixture to a simmer and add the sugar and dried italian seasoning.
Simmer the tomato sauce about 5 minutes and season it with the salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Form the goat’s cheese into an even sized disk shape.  Put the disk of cheese in the center of souffle dish.
Spoon the sauce around the disk of cheese careful not to cover the cheese.
Bake at 425 degrees (~25-30) until the sauce is bubbling hot and the goat’s cheese in browned and softened.  Last 10 minutes warm bread in oven.
Serve with sliced crusty baguettes or your favorite dipping bread. 
* Can warm bread with olive oil and garlic. 


 

5 comments:

That Girl said...

I've had a similar dish at a Moroccan restaurant. It always amazes me when certain flavors transcend cultures.

Joanne said...

I love tapas because you get to taste EVERYTHING and not feel overly stuffed. Okay, maybe a little overly stuffed. This queso dish looks fantastic! Nothing like melty cheese.

Cakewhiz said...

I have never had anything like this but i love the name and the way it looks...hehe.

Leslie said...

Ohhh..I love sangria...gets me in trouble! :)
This dip sounds right up my alley!

Anonymous said...

Had this at Barcelona. It's super delicious! Can't wait to make it tonight!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS