Thursday, April 14, 2011

israeli carrots


I don't know what makes these carrots Israeli.  I am not going to claim to know Israeli food.  I do know that this was in the passover menu section of the April Cooking Light and my experience with Jewish food is I really like it.  Typically I enhance the sweetness of a carrot.  This recipe was a different twist for me.  The fresh herb vinaigrette is a nice contrast to the sweet carrot.  It is a quick side that can be served warm or room temperature.  This would be a welcome addition to any spring celebration menu.

israeli carrots
source: cooking light

2 quarts water
1 pound baby carrots, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

  
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add carrots; cook 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. 

Place garlic in a food processor; pulse 3 times or until finely chopped. Add cilantro; pulse 3 times or until combined. Add dill and remaining ingredients; pulse 3 times or until well combined. Spoon dill mixture over carrots; toss gently to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.

3 comments:

Kitchen Belleicious said...

I love the dill and the oj and the cumin together. How interesting and so freshing at the same time! Can't wait to try this next time. I just did the cutest little carrots ever last night (will post next week) that I found in the farmer's market and I had no idea what to do with them but I chose to go the balsamic and red wine route? So good!

Joanne said...

Well, I know very little about israeli food either but I LOVE dill and so I shall be giving these a go. What a perfect side dish!

That Girl said...

Hmmmm, I'm scratching my head as to what would make these Israeli also. I can't think of many Israeli dishes that feature cilantro!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS