Tuesday, August 30, 2011

salt river bars


Do any of you remember these christmas "crack"er candy?  My butt and thighs still remember them.  I may have mentioned that they are so simple and so sinful and so stinking addictive.  Well guess what?  If those are crack then these babies are crack on steroids.  I don't know what that means but, these have all the ingredients in the crack but, then you add peanut butter chips and layers.  I don't know any instance that peanut butter and layers have made a treat worse.  

I brought these to a progressive dinner party this weekend.  They were at the last stop.  I think there was only one piece left at the end of the night.  My friends are funny.  I think I have funny friends.  Mind you this was the last stop of the night (aka very inebriated) but, these elicited comments such as ...

"How did you get the air in those?"
"Can I drop off a gift card to Ralph's off on your doorstop tomorrow in exchange for these?"
"Don't tell my wife I am having another one."

I find it funny how sometimes the easiest recipes generate the biggest reaction.  If you have a potluck, party or any other get together if you bring these you will be a hero.  Possibly even hoisted up in a chair and carried around the room.  I am just say-in!

salt river bars
adapted: bakergirl

45 club crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup peanut butter chips
3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cups milk chocolate chips
1 tsp oil
coarse sea salt
Line an 8x8-inch pan with foil, allowing the edges to hang over the side, and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Place 15 crackers in the bottom of the pan (3x5) To make three layers, divide the peanut butter chips into thirds and sprinkle 1/3 over the crackers.

Melt butter and brown sugar in a pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly and smooth and a creamy caramel color, about 4 minutes. Pour 1/3 of the caramel over the peanut butter chips and crackers, then add another layer of crackers, peanut butter chips, and caramel, then repeat again for a third layer.
Melt the chips and oil.  Stir every 30 seconds until smooth.  Pour over the crackers, spreading evenly with a small offset spatula.

6 comments:

Kitchen Belleicious said...

So funny, we call them Nanny's bars! LOL! Why because Nanny always made them but not until now did I know their actual name. I love them and your version is different than mine with the club crackers so I can't wait to try it soon. The picture is awesome and they look amazing

TinaRBK said...

This is something new to me, but they look like a great snack! I will have to try, thanks for sharing.

That Girl said...

I've never made either, but I've had those addictive crackers.

sportsglutton said...

I've never tried this before, but I can see that with all the ingredients it could be extremely addictive. I don't know if I could handle making them. :-)

Anonymous said...

Then there is my husband who won't eat any sweet treat unless YOU made it, ha ha. He is still talking about these! xoxo, Court

Beth said...

These look terrific. No wonder they were eaten so quickly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS