Monday, September 26, 2011

caramel apple cupcake


Five year old boys.  If they are anything like my son they like Star Wars, skeletons, Perry the platypus, spiders, soccer balls, and dirt.  So when you tell your son that is turning five that he is having an apple themed party you can only imagine how happy he becomes.  He is bursting with excitement, counting down the days, tasting different apple varieties and of course totally bragging to his friends about the apple party.  In my dreams.  Instead he stares at you with a total look of puzzlement and disbelief and proclaims for the millionth time that he wants a pump it up party again.  He is starting to grasp the concept that I am here to totally ruin his life.  I wanted to do caramel apples and have a smaller get together for Carter's birthday so being CEO of this household I made the big decision and set the wheels in motion and I did not let the little people like the birthday boy slow me down.  It actually ended up being really fun.  We bobbed for apples, did an apple shaped balloon pop, decorated caramel apples and ate apple fall fare.  The kids had fun.  Our house was destroyed.  The kids did not like the food as much as the adults.  

I made these cupcakes into mini cupcakes.  They are moist and have a slight hint of apple behind all of the spiciness.  The center is filled with dulce de leche and then topped with a vanilla cream cheese frosting. I still really like cupcakes.  Maybe cupcakes are as lame as an apple party for a five year old but, I am going to say I am still a fan.  I have been making mini cupcakes lately because you don't need a massive cupcake every night but, there is nothing wrong with indulging in a mini.  All the fun and flavors packed into a mini package.  They taste great and well they are just so cute.
caramel apple cupcake 
with dulce de leche core and vanilla cream cheese frosting
cupcake adapted: martha stewart

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 sticks butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cups brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce

1 can dulce de leche

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. 

Whisk together flour through cloves in a medium bowl; set aside. 

Cream butter and sugars on medium-high speed in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs. Mix in applesauce.

Add flour mixture; mix, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until just combined.

Fill lined cups halfway with batter; bake until tops are springy to the touch, 18 to 20 minutes (15-18 for minis). Remove from tins; let cool on a wire rack. When completely cool, remove a core from center of cupcake and fill with dulce de leche.  
Frost cupcakes.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in large bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.

8 comments:

Laura said...

These look so incredibly good! What a fun party for your little one.

Michael said...

Yum, these look fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

Your cupcakes are truly beautiful. Just wait until he is a teenager and you can ruin his life every day in a new way!

That Girl said...

You had me completely fooled by the intro!

Wok with Ray said...

Oh now I get it. My wife told me that I am the President of the household and I thought that's really cool! Oh so that's how it is, wives are the CEO. OMG, she got me again! Beautiful cupcakes, Allison! Hope you're having a wonderful week! :)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

I was just thinking about caramel apples the other day when I saw the cutest little decroation using them. I love the idea of putting caramel apple flavor into cupcakes. Genius- although I wish I had one or two rather to try right now. They look amazing

sportsglutton said...

You continually make the most phenomenal looking foods that especially tempt my sweet tooth. Therefore I'm presenting you with the Versatile Blogger Award: http://sports-glutton.com/2011/09/28/a-surprising-award/

Cheers!

Tessa said...

These look so good. I love all things caramel!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS