Wednesday, November 2, 2011

pumpkin cornbread


My pumpkin love fest week continues.  I saw an image of pumpkin cornbread on pinterest and it was love at first site.  Cornbread plus pumpkin are you kidding?  What could be better?  Why have I never had this before?  I could not stop thinking about the tall pieces of golden bread.   I knew what I was serving along side my pumpkin chili. The pumpkin flavor was not detectable in the chili but, the cornbread was a different story.  The pumpkin, spices and molasses flavor really shine in this bread.  I thought it was wonderful warm with butter and honey.  This is a great spin on your traditional cornbread for the fall.

pumpkin cornbread

1 cup flour 
1 tablespoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon kosher salt 
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1 cup cornmeal 
2 eggs 
1 cup pumpkin puree 
1/4 cup canola oil 
1 tablespoon molasses

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8×8″ cake pan.
 
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, and cornmeal; set aside.
 
In a medium bowl beat the eggs with whisk, and then mix in the pumpkin, oil, and molasses.
 
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined, and then pour the batter into the pan, smoothing the top.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

7 comments:

That Girl said...

Too weird - I made pumpkin corn muffins this weekend and we've been eating them for breakfast all week with butter and honey!

Michael said...

You had me at pumpkin! Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I can imagine this tasting lovely with butter and honey. I'm all about your pumpkin love fest. I'm in the same boat!

chewingthefat said...

A fabulous way to solve my dilemma of whether I should make pumpkin bread or corn bread for fall parties. I have been looking for a pumpkin bread that uses molasses rather than honey, too!

Joanne said...

If there are two things that get me to love a dish, it's pumpkin and corn. Guaranteed winners when either of those are involved and when you have both - it's a force to be reckoned with! This cornbread looks amazing!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

now this is new to me? I am thinking I would love the idea of the pumpkin flavor mixed with the texture of the cornmeal. Great idea! Your awesome

Megan said...

I absolutely love pumpkin...especially in the fall! I love the idea of pumpkin cornbread! You have some great looking recipes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS