Monday, February 20, 2012

kid's candy cookies


I realized something last week.  It kinda broke my heart.  I became aware during the lead up to Valentine's Day that some day my sweet boy is not always going to want me as his Valentine.  During pick up I noticed that the door was decorated with hearts.  Each kid had to explain what love was.  Carter nailed it with "love is hugs from my mom".  I mean come on he stole my heart.  Then I started to glance through the other responses and there it was.  A heart with "love is CARTER".  A girl with a crush on Carter.  what ?!? A very cute, sweet little girl.  Of course the minute we got in the car I started in with 20 questions.  I got nowhere.  He got embarrassed and flustered and just did not want to discuss said crush.  My spot in the world felt jeopardized.  So I did what any good mom would do and came home and baked up some cookies with all sorts of his favorite candies to solidify my place in his heart for a little longer.  We snuggled in our breakfast nook snacking on cookies and milk and the whole world felt right again. 



kid's candy cookies
adapted: food network magazine

ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup pretzel m&m's
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks or chips ~3 ounces
1/2 cup toffee pieces
3/4 cup peanut butter chips

directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silpat sheets or parchment. Whisk the flour and baking soda in a bowl.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on low speed until incorporated, then increase to high speed and beat until light and fluffy.

Add the salt, vanilla, whole egg and egg yolk to the mixer; beat until thoroughly combined. Add the m&m's and beat for a few seconds until slightly crushed. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing on low speed until just combined. Mix in the chocolate, toffee pieces and peanut butter chips.

Roll heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place on the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten each ball.

Bake the cookies until the edges are golden brown and the centers are no longer wet, 11 to 13 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

This is just the sweetest, cutest story.

beti said...

they look great! my chocolate chip cookies are always a bit too hard and chewy but I've been looking for a more soft cookie, I'll try your recipe

Kitchen Belleicious said...

my son thanks you ahead of time! AMAZING! I just love my cookies and these look to die for

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS